Module 6 was developed by Kimberly Schwartz, University of Florida.
- Students will be able to define and understand human variation
- Students will understand the difference between inter and intra-species variation
- Students will learn the different reasons human variation is present
- Students will discuss lumping and splitting in terms of phenotypic variation
- Students will critically examine the cranial morphology of multiple species and make their own decision on what are and aren’t different species.
Look at the crania of Homo erectus and Homo ergaster and note the similarities and differences. Why might theses differences happen? Do you think Homo erectus and ergaster should be split into two different species or lumped into one? Why?
male Homo sapiens: https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/character/anatomy/human-skull-male
female Homo sapiens: https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/character/anatomy/human-skull-female
Curriculum Connections: COMING SOON